Etienne-Maurice Falconet (1716-1791)
Falconet was born on December 1, 1716 into a poor family in Paris. He was a French sculptor and a pupil of Lemoyne who made him his student. Under Louis XV he became director of sculpture at the Svres porcelain factory, where many small reproductions of his work were made. Versatile in his expression, he combined baroque and classical elements. His consummate skill is revealed in his equestrian statue of Peter the Great (1769) for St. Petersburg. Six volumes of his urbane and erudite writings were published in 1781. He had one painter son named Pierre Etienne Falconet. Etienne Maurice Falconet died January 24, 1791.
Winter Care of Design Toscano Fountains:Many customers ask if our products stand up to long winters, extremely inclement weather, and freezing temperatures. The answer is yes, but only with proper care. While we expect the works of art we sell to be of the best quality, Mother Nature can be quite tough on these pieces. Extreme and rapid changes in temperature and humidity may affect your statues adversely. Resin and cast stone have an inherent tendency to expand and contract with climactic conditions. The ideal solution is to store your fountain away from direct exposure to the winter elements, for example, a basement, garage or gardener's shed would be perfect. The following recommendations are offered to help ensure that your purchases give you years of enjoyment:
Please remember, while resin and cast stone are strong and durable, nature can be stronger. A little maintenance and care will keep your investment beautiful for years to come.
- Drain the bowl(s) or shell(s) thoroughly.
- Remove the statue and pump, storing them inside if possible.
- Fill the bowl(s) or shell(s) with an absorbent material such as towels, blankets, etc.
- Cover the entire fountain with a fountain cover or heavy-duty plastic sheeting and secure tightly. Should condensation droplets form on the inside of the cover, the material will absorb them.
- Small Fountain bowls may be inverted so that water will not pool inside.
- Remove the drain plug if your fountain has one.
- Do not use antifreeze in fountains.
- Do not allow fountains to sit in freezing and thawing water.
- We strongly suggest that all portable fountains be moved indoors in inclement weather and freezing temperatures.